Solomon’s Failed Methods of Finding Meaning:
Wisdom, Wine, Work, Wealth, Worldly relationships
Ecclesiastes 1:14; 2:11, 17 & 26; 4:4 & 16; 6:9 NIV
Question: What are we really chasing after?
Ecclesiastes 5:1-3 NIV
Your greatest danger is letting the urgent things crowd out the important.”
The Tyranny of the Urgent, Charles Hemmel
Today’s Truth: Our worship is revealed through our words and our wealth.
⇒ Choosing over quantity of our words.
Proverbs 15:1-2 NIV
⇒ Commit to what you say you will .
Ecclesiastes 5:4-7 NIV; James 3:9-10 NIV
⇒ The more you have, the more you .
Ecclesiastes 5:10 NIV
Comparison is the thief of joy.”
⇒ The more you have, the more people want to .
Ecclesiastes 5:11 NIV
⇒ The more you have, the more you about it.
Ecclesiastes 5:12 NIV
⇒ The more you have, the more prone you are to .
Ecclesiastes 5:13 NIV; Ecclesiastes 5:18-20 ESV; Philippians 4:4 ESV
Q: What can you give away that will spark joy in you this week?
Theme: Chasing Wind
What impacted you the most from Sunday’s message?
What would you say is the greatest goal you’ve achieved so far in life? How do you feel knowing now that you have experienced it?
- What are some reasons that the quantity and quality of our words connect to our worship of God according to v. 1-2 & 7?
- What is the meaning of v. 3 in connecting dreams and wisdom with our words?
- When has there been a moment that you talked big about what you were going to accomplish and then felt embarrassed when your aspiration didn’t match the outcome?
- From these verses, what lessons do you find regarding how we handle wealth?
- What are the consequences for us and others around us when we value the quality of our life based on the quantity of our possessions?
- Where to find the balance between providing for yourself and being generous with what you have?
- How does v. 19 express the right attitude of contentment and thankfulness for what God gives?
- How is the joyful and glad heart that comes from God the best filter by which we truly appreciate all that life brings?
Take time to share how God is answering prayer, and pray over the needs in your group.