Fish, Part 7: People of the Fish
May 28, 2023 / Grant Fishbook, Lead Teaching Pastor / Acts 2
Grant Fishbook, Lead Teaching Pastor
Meaning: Jesus Christ, Anointed Son of God, Savior
The “people of the fish” were:
14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd…
22 “Fellow Israelites, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. 23 This man was handed over to you by God’s deliberate plan and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross. 24 But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him…
32 God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of it. 33 Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear…
36 “Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.” – Acts 2:14, 22-24, 32-33, 36
The message was bold, contextual, and called people to action:
37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”
38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.” – Acts 2:37-39
Our application question: Can I the message of Jesus with you?
42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles…
46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts… – Acts 2:42-43, 46
Our application question: Would you like to ?
All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. – Acts 2:44-45
Our application question: What do you ?
Humble in the face of
…praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved. – Acts 2:47
Our application question: How can we ?
Are we truly people ?
Small Group Questions
- How do you handle hot weather (grumpy; love it; love it until it makes you grumpy)? What’s your favorite way to cool off?
- What’s your response when you see a fish symbol on the back of a car? Are you critical, suspicious, judgmental, or do you see that person as family? Have you ever had the fish symbol on your car? Why or why not?
- Read Peter’s message from Acts 2 out loud. What is the core truth that captures your heart?
- Read the description of the original church from Acts 2:42-47. In what ways are you doing the what the original church did? What are you missing, and how could that change this summer?
- How are you intentional in sharing what you have with other people? Why is this a powerful tool in sharing the love of Jesus?
- How can we pray for you right now and throughout the week?