With, Part 3: With Us Through His Spirit
December 19, 2021 / John 14:15-17
An Incorrect Assumption:
When something goes wrong, God is .
“If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to help you and be with you forever—the Spirit of truth.
– John 14:15-17a (NIV 1984)
If you love me, keep my commands.
A short line of disobedience… Zechariah and Herod
A short line of historical obedience… 5 out of 20 kings “did what was right in the eyes of the Lord”
A long line of Christmas obedience…
Zechariah and Elizabeth: “Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord’s commandments and regulations blamelessly.”
Mary: “I am the Lord’s servant…May it be to me as you have said.”
Joseph: “When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him…
Shepherds: “When they had seen him, they spread the word…”
The Wise Men (Magi): “We saw his star and have come to worship him.”
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor…
Notice the symmetry: “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful , Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. – Isaiah 9:6
…to help you and be with you forever…
Peace comes not from an absence of trouble but from the .
…the Spirit of truth.
Notice the symmetry: Jesus answered, “I am the way and the and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. – John 14:6
A Christmas gift (he will give you) worth pondering:
God is .
Small Group Questions
- When it comes to Christmas movies — Hallmark or Lifetime? Or neither?
- What was the worst thing that happened to you this week? How did you respond?
- What command of scripture do you need to obey this Christmas season?
- How has God been with you in the past week? Can you share some specific moments when you felt his presence?
- Read Isaiah 9:1-7 out loud. What is God saying to you about Christmas through this 2700-year-old prophecy?
- How can we pray for you right now and throughout the week?