With, Part 2: With Us Through His People
December 12, 2021 / Hebrews 10:24-25
Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.
The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone…”
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 ENGLISH STANDARD VERSION (ESV)
9 Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. 10 For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has no one to lift him up! 11 Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? 12 And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
Hebrews 10:24-25 (ESV)
24 Let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet one another, as is the habit of some, 25 but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the day drawing near.
3 Some men came, bringing to him a paralyzed man, carried by four of them. 4 Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus by digging through it and then lowered the mat the man was lying on. 5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralyzed man, “Son, your sins are forgiven.”
34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
“Although millions of words have been written trying to describe it, Christ’s entire strategy to transform the world can be articulated with just one four-letter preposition: WITH.”
– Pastor Curt Harlow, Bayside Church
Small Group Questions
- Why do you think God repeated the promise “I am with you” more than any other promise in scripture?
- Why do you think God created us to need one another?
- What do you think are the most important attributes of a good friend?
- How do you feel most connected to God — through people? Through his word? Through prayer?
- Who is one person you could take a step toward this week? What would that look like?
- How can we pray for you right now and throughout the week?