Now Is The Time, Part 7: Gather Stones | Scatter Stones
June 19, 2022 / Ecclesiastes 3:5
Grant Fishbook, Lead Teaching Pastor
There is a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them.
A time to gather stones
(1 Kings 5:17)
(Deuteronomy 27:5–6 and Hebrews 9:12)
The right kind of memorial – to
The wrong kind of memorial – to
A time to scatter stones
the old memories (Isaiah 43:18–19)
(2 Kings 3:25)
Practical application: I am going to in the devil’s field!
A Holy Scattering 1 Peter 2:4–8
4 As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him— 5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For in Scripture it says:
“See, I lay a stone in Zion,
a chosen and precious cornerstone,
and the one who trusts in him
will never be put to shame.”
7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,
“The stone the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone,”
8 and, “A stone that causes people to stumble
and a rock that makes them fall.”
They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for.
Small Group Questions
- Can you think of an activity you enjoy that involves rocks? What is it?
- How did you honor your father on Sunday? If you are not in relationship with your dad, how did you honor your Heavenly Father on Sunday?
- How can you embrace the role of Jesus, as your Chief Cornerstone this coming week?
- Read Joshua 7. What does this story reveal to you about God’s perspective on sin?
- Read 1 Peter 2:4-8 again. What spiritual sacrifices will you offer God this coming week?
- How can we pray for you right now and throughout the week?