Now is the Time, Part 3: Kill | Heal
May 22, 2022 / Ecclesiastes 3:3
GRANT FISHBOOK, LEAD TEACHING PASTOR
Scripture teaches there is a time to kill and a time to heal.
A Time to Kill
Hebrew definition of kill: to cut down, to stab, cause to die, to intentionally or knowingly
The tough question:
Is Solomon God?
Solomon—there is a time to kill vs. God—thou shalt not kill
All murder is , but not all killing is .
We are called to put to death anything that from God
For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. – Romans 8:13
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. – Colossians 3:5
In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. – Romans 6:11
A Time to Heal
Hebrew definition of heal: to provide a cure for, or to again, whether physically or spiritually; repair, rebuild.
The promise of healing:
The promise of healing: Is anyone among you in trouble (suffering)? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. – James 5:13
The promise of healing: Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. – James 5:14-15
The promise of healing: Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. – James 5:16
The promise of healing: Elijah was a human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops. – James 5:17-18
The promise of healing: My brothers and sisters, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring that person back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins. – James 5:19-20
Small Group Questions
- What are your plans for strategic rest this summer?
- Last week, we covered “a time to plant and a time to uproot”. Did you plant/uproot anything physical or spiritually this past week? What did you learn from making that decision?
- Is there a sin/attitude/habit that needs to be put to death in your life? What is your first step in removing that permanently from your life?
- Read James 5:13-20 out loud. What type of healing do you need right now? Will you bring this to Jesus right now? Ask him for your healing!
- Spiritual healing begins with forgiveness. Is there anyone you need to forgive? Take it to Jesus right now. He can help you to forgive.
- How can we pray for you right now and throughout the week?