Christ the King Community Church
Named, Part 8: Witness
November 21, 2021
Main Scripture Reference(s)
Named, Part 8: Witness
November 21, 2021 / Acts 1:1-11
In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach 2 until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen. 3 After his suffering, he showed himself to these men and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God. 4 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”
6 So when they met together, they asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”
7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
9 After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.
10 They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11 “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”
50 When he had led them out to the vicinity of Bethany, he lifted up his hands and blessed them. 51 While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into heaven. 52 Then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy. 53 And they stayed continually at the temple, praising God.
Before Jesus leaves…
- He what he practices and what he preaches (vs. 1)
- He his resurrection (vs. 3)
- He his witnesses (vs. 8)
You have been named .
What kind of witness will you be?
4. Jesus gives his witnesses three gifts that we still have today!
A (Luke 24:50)
A (Acts 1:8 and 1:11)
A (Acts 1:8)
Looking up and moving out are not the !
To live as God’s witness, you must and .
Small Group Questions
- Did you experience any ups and downs this week? Share what happened and how you handled the highs and lows.
- Read Acts 1 out loud. What strikes you about the disciples’ response to Jesus leaving?
- What do you learn about Jesus in his final words to his followers?
- Have you ever been called to testify in a courtroom? What happened? From the list in this outline, what kind of witness best describes your walk with Jesus today?
- How can you balance looking up and moving out this week?
- How can we pray for you right now and throughout the week?