Named, Part 2: Overcomer
October 10, 2021 / Isaiah 43:1-3
Genesis 18:13-14, Genesis 32:24-28, 1 John 5:5
But now, this is what the Lord says—
he who created you, Jacob,
he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
3 For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior…
Jacob, “The Supplanter” living up to his name:
1. He of his brother’s weakness and steals his (Genesis 25:19-34)
2. Jacob his own father and steals his brother Esau’s (Genesis 27:1-40)
But [Isaac] said, “Your brother came deceitfully and took your blessing.”
Esau said, “Isn’t he rightly named Jacob?” He has deceived me these two times; he took my birthright and now he has taken my blessing.” – Genesis 27:35-36
3. Jacob leaves a trail of broken and broken (Genesis 27:41-46, 30, 31)
The Pivot Point GENESIS 28:13–14
(while still living in the brokenness of his old name)
…“I am the Lord, the God of your Father Abraham and the God of Isaac; I will give you and your descendants the land on which you are lying. Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth and you will spread out to the west and to the east, and to the north and to the south; all peoples on the earth will be blessed through you and your offspring. I am with you.”
Walking in a new direction:
Go , make , wrestle with
24 So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. 25 When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob’s hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. 26 Then the man said, “Let me go, for it is daybreak.
But Jacob replied, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.”
27 The man asked him, “What is your name?”
“Jacob,” he answered.
28 Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.”
The only name of consequence is the one .
You have been named .
Who is it that overcomes the world?
Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.
1 JOHN 5:5
Small Group Questions
- Is there a story behind your given names? If so, what’s the story?
- Why do you think God made a promise to Jacob before the wrestling and transformation took place?
- Which is hardest for you: Going home? Making peace? Wrestling with God? Or being renamed?
- Is there a name you carry in your soul that makes you feel ashamed? What is it? Is there a name you carry in your soul that makes you feel proud? What is it?
- God has named you an Overcomer. How can you practically receive that name today?
- How can we pray for you right now and throughout the week?