Look Closer, Part 8: The Parable of the Two Sons
July 25, 2021 / Matthew 21:28-32
The Parable of the Two Sons
28 “What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’
29 “‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.
30 “Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go.
31 “Which of the two did what his father wanted?”
“The first,” they answered.
Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. 32 For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.”
There is a !
your kingdom, your way, and your priorities and
35 Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. 36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37 Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. 38 Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”
in God’s family is called to
LEARN MORE about the Kingdom of God in Pastor Brian Steele’s book, The Kingdom Field Guide: Keys to Finding God’s Really Real Kingdom
Ministry: you are partnering with God to meet the needs of others using the resources and abilities God has given you
You are not
1 Corinthians 12:4–11 will guide, teach, empower, equip you, and direct you
1 Corinthians 12:12–22 You are on a , and your part is
Ephesians 4:11–16 As pastors and teachers, our part to play in this body is to for ministry
Your next act of loving worship is to .
What is your ministry? What could be your ministry? You have the opportunity today to share with us your answer to either of those questions. If you’re attending, you received a paper response card your way in, and the same response card can be filled out online (info.ctk.church). Paper response cards can be dropped off in the offering boxes, at reception, or with any staff member in the Commons today.
Everyone who responds will be contacted by one of our pastors. If you’re actively involved in any kind of ministry, we’ll contact you to encourage you, pray for you, and equip you in your ministry. If you’re not currently involved in ministry but you’re ready to serve, we’ll contact you to help you take that next step.
If you plan to respond, please do so by July 31 in either of the ways mentioned above.
Small Group Questions
- Have a little fun with this question… what part of the body are you and why?
- When you’re asked to make a new commitment, what is your biggest hesitation and how do you decide what to do? This could be at work, with your family, a friend, as a volunteer…
- Using Wendy’s definition of ministry, tell us about your most recent ministry experience. What has it taught you? How have you changed and grown?
- As a group, explore the connection between this parable and two others we have covered:
- The Two Builders (Matthew 7:24–27)
- The Wheat and the Weeds (Matthew 13:24–30)
- Have you set aside time to read James this week? Share a verse that’s caught your attention.
- How can we pray for you right now and throughout the week?