Look Closer, Part 6: The Parable of the Wedding Feast
July 11, 2021 / Matthew 22:1-14
Central Kingdom Truth
You have been invited to an !
Matthew 22:1–14 The Parable of the Wedding Banquet
Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying: 2 “The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son.
Responses From the Guest List
3 He sent his servants to those who had been invited to the banquet to tell them to come, but they refused to come.
Some guests are .
4 “Then he sent some more servants and said, ‘Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.’
5 “But they paid no attention and went off—one to his field, another to his business.
Some guests are .
6 The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. 7 The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city.
Some guests are , and it doesn’t go well for them.
8 “Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. 9 So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’ 10 So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.
Some guests the unanticipated invitation!
11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. 12 He asked, ‘How did you get in here without wedding clothes, friend?’ The man was speechless.
Some guests try to set their own conditions – the clothes were offered but .
God’s dress code is found in Colossians 3:12-14
13 “Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
14 “For many are invited, but few are chosen.”
How will you respond to the invitation from the King?
Small Group Questions
- Do you like weddings? Why or why not?
- Read the parable again. What do you learn about the character of God through the story?
- Which of the negative responses would be the easiest one for you to get caught in? Why?
- Read Colossians 3:12-14 out loud. What is your response to God’s dress code? Which article of “clothing” do you enjoy wearing the most?
- Do you remember when you accepted the invitation into God’s family? Share how this came about.
- How can we pray for you right now and throughout the week?