Living the Opposites, Part 2
February 26, 2023 / 2 Timothy 3:1-5
Grant Fishbook, Lead Teaching Pastor
A reminder from Jesus about the end times:
Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.” – Matthew 24:4-6
But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people. – 2 Timothy 3:1-5
Don’t become so fixated on the darkness that you forget about the light!
Jesus said, “I am the light of the world.”
Jesus said, “You are the light of the world.”
Live the Opposites
Review from last week:
People will be lovers of themselves vs. Purposefully love others
Lovers of money vs. Live a life of generosity
Boastful vs. Quietly confident
Proud vs. Humble
Abusive vs. Kind and loving
Disobedient to their parents vs. Honor their parents
Ungrateful vs. Grateful
Unholy vs. Pure
Without love vs. Filled with love
Unforgiving vs. Forgiving
Continuing the opposites:
Not lovers of the good
on the good
Lovers of pleasure
…having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.
When I live the opposites, I am choosing for now and for eternity.
Small Group Questions
- What was your honest reaction when you saw snow in the forecast this past week?
- Truthfully, how much do you think about the end of the world? Why or why not?
- As the world continues to move in an ungodly direction, what does this do to you both emotionally and spiritually? How can you choose the opposites this week?
- Review all the descriptors that Paul shares with Timothy in 2 Timothy 3:1-5. Which one on the negative side is a place of weakness for you? How could you strengthen the opposite response?
- Paul is calling believers to engage as the days draw to a close. How can you engage with godly living this week?
- How can we pray for you right now and throughout the week?