God Planned, Part 5: God’s Plan for Your Christmas
December 17, 2023 / Philippians 2:1–20
Grant Fishbook, Lead Teaching Pastor
God’s plan to commune with humanity (John 1:14):
14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.
The Word became flesh and we have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Notice: Jesus embodied both and simultaneously
Grace and truth = deep
If you want to fulfill God’s plan for your Christmas…
5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: 6 who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; 7 rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death—even death on a cross! – Philippians 2:5–8
If you follow Jesus, you
Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. – Philippians 2:1–4
14 Do everything without grumbling or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky 16 as you hold firmly to the word of life. – Philippians 2:14–16
People who refuse to grumble or argue in a dark world
19 I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you. 20 I have no one else like him, who will show genuine concern for your welfare. – Philippians 2:19–20
Surround yourself with
Small Group Questions
- What are your plans for Christmas morning?
- What is the most meaningful (not most extravagant) gift you have ever received?
- Read John 1 and Philippians 2 out loud. What jumps off the page at you related to Christmas?
- Do you tend to lean towards grace or truth? Where are you going to need both, simultaneously, this Christmas?
- What are some specific ways you can put into the practice the godly plan of Philippians 2 (putting others first, refusing to grumble or argue, surrounding yourself with godly people)?
- How can we pray for you right now and throughout the week?